The 2011 Season

Friday, December 19, 2008

STUDENT Athlete / Eligibility Check


There will be a couple weeks left in the term once school resumes. It is a state requirement that an athlete must have a 2.0 GPA and not fail more than 1 class in the previous term in order to be eligible to participate in extracurricular activities. This means that in mid January when the 2nd term ends if the athlete is not eligible they will miss almost 1/2 the games played during the season, until the 3rd term ends.

With regards to baseball, our program is at somewhat of a disadvantage with me not being in the school and having that daily contact with the kids. Coach Cloward & Mr. McCluskey help us out by monitoring the kids, but they both have many more kids to be concerned about than just the baseball players. I know you as parents are already concerned with your child's academic progress, and as the baseball coach I need your help more than other coaches in keeping them up to date on their academics.

I recently checked the grades of most of the baseball players. I will be contacting any player and possibly the parent of the player for those who need to be concerned about being eligible to start the season.

As a player, failure to perform academically not only hurts yourself, as well as disappoints your parents, but you let down your school, your community, and most of all your teammates and coaches. It is inexcusable to not be eligible academically. Remember that for Student / Athletes the STUDENT part comes first and foremost. As your coach I will do what I can to help you out, but it is ultimately up to you to get to class and do the work. If you are struggling with something go to the teacher and get the necessary help.




Get the work done in the weight room, on the field, but most of all in the classroom.




HAPPY HOLIDAYS from Coach Anderson & the coaching staff

No comments: